01 Sep Comparison of various types of thundersticks (thunderstix)
So what are thundersticks anyway. Sometimes people refer to them as bam bams, thunderstix, thunder sticks, boom sticks, fan-ta-sticks, among other names. These are all similar products. They are football noise makers for the stadium. They consist of two inflatable sticks which are banged together to make a loud noise. When in combination with other thunderstix, the noise is very loud. However, all thundersticks are not created equal. Thunder sticks can be broken down into 2 main categories: Re-usable and Non-Reusable.
- These type of thundersticks have an inflation valve exactly like a pool raft or a beach ball and can be inflated and deflated as many times as desired. If they need more air during use, you simply open the valve and add more air.
- They are made from a vinyl material (PVC) are are slightly thicker than all other types of thunderstix and therefore, are more durable.
- Because these thunder sticks are made of a thicker material, they have a lower pitch boom when banged together.
- This type of thunder stick can be slightly more expensive, but the fact that they are reusable makes up for the small difference in cost.
- Because these are manufactured first and then printed, the custom imprint can not be printed over the entire area of the thunderstick like they can on the non-reusable types.
- Production time for this type is typically much shorter than the non-reusable type since the sticks themselves are already produced.
- These type of thundersticks or bam bams don’t have a valve to inflate but rather an end similar to standard mylar balloon which can take a little more effort to inflate. Some brands such as bam bams actually have a straw that is used for inflation that makes the process more cumbersome.
- These are made of a polyethylene, which feels similar to PVC; however, most are slightly thinner but more rigid.
- Most non-reusable types have a higher pitch sound to them, but they are still very loud.
- These can be lower priced if you choose a longer production time.
- These can be custom printed on a much larger area on the sticks since the material is printed first then manufactured.
- Production time can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 weeks with 2 weeks being the most expensive and 9 weeks being the cheapest. If you plan ahead, you can save a lot of money with the 9 week production time option.
Whichever type of thunder sticks that you choose, they all work well and get the job done. Making noise is an important part of any sports arena. Showing team spirit helps to pump up the athletes and actually help them play better if they have the excitement of the crowd.